burns like a promise broken


Sometimes, I feel like life would be so much easier if I were a cat. I imagine weaving in and out of crowded alleys, strength in my legs as I leap from room to roof searching for my next adventure. I laugh as I evade countless threats with my speed and wit. I know how to run with the best of them but I also know where to find solitude. Cats know many stories and this one starts as I enter a studio through a hole in the window screen. I am silent save for a hushed purring that I tried but failed to contain.

They do not hear me for they are asleep. She is clutching the sheets to her chest. The blanket resists but gives. He is left with nothing but the thin film of sweat the covers his body. He tugs at the blanket, the tug-of-war only briefly entertaining. I jump towards the top of the shelf where I have a better view of things. I gently paw a pointless figurine towards the edge. It shatters into a million pieces.

His eyes fly open. At last, he awakes. He glances at the wall clock, the minute and hour hands like an ice cold bucket of water. And just like that, he’s up.

“Fuck. Fuck. FUCK!” he yells. It is obvious he does not care if she awakes. She stirs, mumbling incoherently, her sleep prevailing over this midnight tantrum. He is dressing hurriedly. The button from his boxers nearly comes loose as he tries to put his pants on. He is hopping. Always hopping. Why do humans like wearing such tight jeans?

“What’s happening?” she finally asks.

“I must’ve slept through my alarm. It’s almost morning and I’m still here. Fuck. FUUUUCK!

A bright light embraces her face as her eyes squint to adjust. “Um, it’s just half past 8.” He isn’t listening. He seems to be looking for something under the bed.

“Have you seen my socks? Damn it, I swear I left them right here.” She slinks towards him, her arms like little snakes that caress him from his back to his chest as she adjusts his tie. “Honey, It’s just 8:15. The batteries on that old clock must’ve died. You have time.”

“I do?” She nods. He exhales. “There’s still time to…” She continues the rest in a whisper.

“Phew,” he interrupts. “I’m sorry I panicked.” She kisses a line from his shoulders to his neck to a fevered cheek. He seems unfazed. “I didn’t want to sleep in the car tonight.”

“You are welcome to sleep over. You know that, right?” Her voice is suddenly cold and sharp like a steel knife. His hands fly to his ring finger where a golden band burns like a promise broken.

I may be a cat but even I know what that means.

♫: Dragonfly Collector | Someday, Someday, Maybe (2014)

14 comments

  1. Being a woman whose fiancé cheated on her, this was painful for me to read. But cathartic as well. It just feels like no one is faithful anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nova: I read that post shortly after I published this and I just felt so awful! I experienced something similar a while back and in many ways, writing from your enemy's perspective felt very therapeutic. Hope everything works out in the end.

      Delete
  2. If only a cat could talk, I wonder what would it say about the world... all it's deep, dark secrets...

    I wish I am a cat, but then, if it means seeing the truth behind every lies, the pain that it could bring, I dont know if I would still wish to be one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yccos: These are thoughts you start to get when you've been having a rough time and you see little kitty with such a good life. lol I'd like to think that we have it better than cats yet sometimes I can't help but feel the need to switch places.

      Delete
  3. somehow, this reminded me that scene in a Rosanna Roces' movie, La Vida Rosa, where her character and Diether Ocampo's were making love in front of a pet cat. for some reason, i find the cat's position in the movie very powerful.

    good writing, as usual, nyl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wanderingcommuter: Thanks, Ewik! It's so nice to see you in this side of the interwebs again.

      Sometimes, a completely different POV can make or break a story. I haven't seen La Vida Rosa but I fully intend to after this. haha

      Delete
  4. kapag may post ka, parang laging may nagbabalik sa aking alaala. sana bumalik yung panahong marami tayong nagsusulat at nagbabasa. para sa akin, yung ang pinakamasaya. miss you too, nyl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I echo Aris statement. sobrang nakakamiss.

      It's better not to know some things sometimes.
      I don't know. It is only going to make me miserable.

      Delete
    2. Aris: Yes, please! I really miss the community. Yung magpopost ka, sasagot, balikan ng conversation. Those were the good old days!

      And you know the feeling is mutual. Sabi ko nga dun sa comment ko sayo, there's nothing like a classic Aris post. :)

      Delete
    3. AMR: I envy that side of your personality. Ako kasi, I can't leave things alone! haha but that makes us two sides of the same interesting coin, methinks.

      Delete
  5. Isa lang masasabi ko. Tsismoso kang pusa ka. *laughs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment