Friday, July 1, 2005

halfbaked

Okay, I’ve had a couple of posts that are jammed in my mind’s queue. I’ve been a bit busy these past few days and I only get to check my blog when I’m in Computer Laboratory and that only happens on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I’ve promised a Batman Begins review and even if it is weeks late, I’m posting it anyway.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Batman movies is that it always seems to have a sort of theatrical aspect, that is it’s very outrageous, gothic eye candy. I’m pretty sure I’m not getting my point across. All I’m saying is that they’ve always had an eye for drama. Batman has always been dark and mysterious and all the villains have back stories and their own inner demons. That’s where this movie differs.

Christian Bale is an average Batman. Some call him the best yet while others have named him the worst. Personally, I think he has the acting prowess to cover the sensitive side of Batman. That is while the movie slowly unveils his mystery, you can’t expect someone like George Clooney to deliver the same side.

The story in itself is quite different. The treatment is less theatrical, more sensitive and biographical. I can’t say so much without giving away the ending but it’s the kind of movie that’ll keep you thinking.

Casting is impeccable. Michael Caine as Alfred is so right. I know in the past the Alfred’s have been thin and frail but Caine still delivers the kind of British class that Alfred epitomizes. Christian Bale does a good job as well. He has the kind of aura that says ‘I’m a crazy superhero by night’ but not too much that the audience can’t relate to his f*ed up reverie. As for Katie Holmes, ugh, I know I’ve mentioned it before that I really don’t like her now with Tom Cruise and everything but when I saw the movie, I knew she was perfect for the job. It takes a lot of willpower to be a nondescript but (oxymoron) standout woman on screen, especially because that’s what a superhero love interest needs to be. She plays the role flawlessly.

The villains are wicked in both good and bad ways. Bad because they’re so believable in their role that you can’t help but despise them. Good because that’s what they were paid to do. Even the non-evil villains in the company do well. The final villain (involving a twist and round characters) was amazing. I may seem like the internet’s biggest idiot but I totally did not see that coming.

My only comment is in wardrobe. SOMEBODY PLEASE GIVE KATIE HOLMES A BRASSIERE!!! Especially in the scenes where she’s wearing a silk blouse. Please. Please!!! I think they filmed in Iceland, if I’m not mistaken and so her nipples are obviously going to have problems. Please someone hand her a band-aid even if a brassiere is not available onset.

Batman Begins delivers what it needed to. It gives the audience a crash course on Bruce Wayne without making him seem like this crazy rich man with a leather fetish. I only hope that if the same people make a new sequel, they would surpass this movie.

Incidentally, I’ve watched two other movies that are somehow related to Batman Begins and so here are my reviews. What’s funny is that most of the actors here have played vague and unrecognizable roles. Who wasn’t surprised with Christian Bale in The Machinist and Batman Begins? Katie Holmes is creepy in The Gift but smart in BB. Even Cillian Murphy who both smart but creepy as the Scarecrow but appears like a total dud in the next review.

First up, Cillian Murphy makes a surprising appearance in Girl With A Pearl Earring starring Colin Firth and Scarlett Johansson, surprising because I’ve never seen him prior to BB even though my friends have been chirping his name for months now.

GWAPE is the fictionalized story of this old painting which is supposedly the ‘Mona Lisa of the North’ or was it East, I’m not sure. It stars my favorite actress Scarlett Johansson and Colin Firth from Bridget Jones’s Diary. It’s an unusual story which you may or may not have heard of before. I actually saw the trailer and the book about late last year but it never occurred to me that the movie was even remotely what it was.

The story is very unique. From the outside, it may seem kind of sexual in a May-December kind of way. When those two are alone in the room, you can’t help but think that something’s up. The story laid out the possibility of a master-maid relationship via another character, Van Ruijven. Like I said, when those two are alone in the room, you could cut the sexual tension in there with a knife. I mean, all they’re doing is mixing paint and stuff but there’s such tension and fear in Scarlett’s performance. She is truly one of this generation’s best.

The movie is really nice but I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re only looking to be entertained. It’s an engaging art film and it makes you think. Plus, the scenery is so nice. Eye candy from the props and the actors themselves.

I’m getting a bit tired but here’s my last one. I saw The Machinist about twenty minutes ago and I’m still a bit disheveled. It’s a beautifully crafted story that’s part thriller, part horror (anorexia is hell), part basic creepiness. It’s full of twists and the ending really got me thinking. It’s a man’s journey towards redemption.

Acting was nice. Jennifer Jason Leigh plays the hooker with values. Her performance was good but easily forgettable. The waitress Maria also played a touching role. I’m sorry if this is sounding terrible. I’m quite tired. Haaahhh… I’ll try to come up with a decent Machinist review when I’m not so tired. The movie was nice but it can really get you down.

Haaagh… Sorry if i let you down. Now i kinda now what a premature e*j******r feels like.

12 comments:

  1. BB is so far the best movie of the year, i've analyzed it and that's what i think! cillian murphy???? 28 DAYS LATER!!!!! Grrrrrr...arf...rar. :)

    gee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't watched Batman Begins yet. I didn't know that about Katie. hehe... I find her gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @gee, cillian murphy was in 28 days later??? who? what? where? wha?!?! i'm confused... oh btw, your series of unfortunate events is still with me! :D

    @evi, it's all over hollywod news actually. she is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @gee again, i think i'll wait till the year ends. i was impressed by BB but not enough to make that impression.

    follow up: OMG! I checked imdb and cillian murphy is the main guy in 28 days later. creepy... he's so big now. he's so frail in 28DL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. anonymous, BB is not the best film of the year. you still haven't watched war of the worlds.

    hi pnf! tagal ko nang hindi naka bisita. ;)

    rock on!.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @gee, tried calling u but u were always out. u okay?

    @mike, i know, bloghopping used to be a part of our routines. i'm sooo out of it.

    anyways, i havent seen war of the worlds and i wasnt going to but then you said it was really nice so i might check it out after pinoy blonde. i swear, i love unitel even though i havent seen a single film by them! hahaha

    cillian murphy... never saw it coming! i liked 28dl too. liked girl w.a pearl earring better. :D but it's like apples and oranges. cant really compare two films of diff. genres. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. sa lahat:
    napanood ko na ang WotW noong Miyerkules pa, at bagaman maganda rin siya, may mga kapintasan siyang lubhang nakaapekto sa daloy ng pelikula...kaya't hindi siya ganoon kaganda kung maituturing...at sabi ko naman 'so far, kasi 'so far' BB pa lang naman ang nationwide release na hollywood film na tunay na maganda at may mga sahog ng lahat elemento para sa lahat...he he he

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just think the previous batman movies is better though.. speaking of colin firth, i've seen a lot of movies of him, well not because i fancies him before *ahem ahem ahem* he's really indeed one of the greatest actors in brit. i remember watching him in BBC's Pride and prejudice for more that 2 hours..

    ReplyDelete
  9. actually, if you watched the dvd special features on the first bridget jones's diary, you'll see that his work in pride and prejudice is the reason why they casted him as mark darsey. the mark in P&P and BJD are actually the same or was at least loosely based.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has absolutely nothing to do with your post, but I DO love Batman! ALWAYS! He is THE best superhero because he doesn't have special powers, just gadgets he knows how to use!
    Here's the scoop for you,....he asked me THE question,...I said YES! Cheers babe,..if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone!!!! *hugs* :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Methinks Batman Begins is the installment that rocks the most. The first two by Tim Burton were great. The ones that followed sucked. Off with Schumacher's head!

    As with Katie Holmes and her NIPPLES (he he he... Tommy has been there!), I guess it's her way of getting noticed and not be drawfed by the performances of Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Cane. It's what she can give the audience that they can't.

    Oggle, oggle, oggle... Maginaw sa Batcave & sa labas ng Wayne Manor. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. @tragic, CONGRATS! I'm soooo happy for you. borderline envious! hahaha i like what you said. "if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone!!!" a bit on the self-depricating side but nice anyway.

    @ej, hahahaha oggle oggle! hehehe thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete