Tuesday, May 24, 2005

if you forget me

this is my favorite track off the Il Postino Soundtrack. It was read by Madonna. it's quite famous and if you've just been dumped / brokenhearted / about to leave a long term relationship, this poem's just the thing that you shouldn't be reading if you don't want to end up taking a bullet from a gun or running a knife off its edges. kidding aside, this poem's the juice.

If you forget me
I want you to know one thing
You know how this is

If I look at the crystal moon
At the red branch of the slow autumn at my window
If I touch near the fire the impalpable ash Or the wrinkled body of the log
Everything carries me to you
As if everything that exists - aromas, light, metals
Were little boats that sail toward those isles of yours that wait for me

Well, now
If little by little you stop loving me
I shall stop loving you
Little by little
If suddenly you forget me
Do not look for me
For I shall already have forgotten you

If you think it long and mad the wind of banners that passes through my life
And you decide to leave me at the shore of the heart where I have roots
Remember
That on that day, at that hour, I shall lift my arms
And my roots will set off to seek another land

But, if each day, each hour, you feel that you are destined for me
With implacable sweetness
If each day a flower climbs up to your lips to seek me
Ahh my love, ahh my own, in me all that fire is repeated
In me nothing is extinguished or forgotten
My love feeds on your love, beloved
And as long as you live, it will be in your arms without leaving mine
-------------------------------------

i love jack johnson. i swear 'in between dreams' is truly phenomenal. too bad it was misbranded as poprock by local record labels. this record does not belong to the same category as lifehouse (y'all have seen the sticker "poprock for a fun summer!"?.


i downloaded it *gasp* and didn't really listen to it much. the single 'sitting, waiting, wishing" is poignant but untelling. the video is brilliant. i didn't realize all this until i finished downloading the whole album and listened to it while i was bloghopping.

it's bluesy, it's poppy, it's everything they're not. i'm seriously considering buying it in digipak. jack johnson has been in the music industry for eons and i'm glad he's finally breaking through. favorites include 'better together' (sounds like a cool vintage song) and the ridiculously happy 'breakdown'. it's laid back music that's fun to pop in the player when you just want to relax but it's jumpy enough to work out to. speaking of working out, damn i have to start running again. these thunder thighs aren't really going anywhere.

hemmingways, seriously this album is totally deck. i'll probably still have it on when i wake up. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment